Peruvian Fish Ceviche
Ingredients (serves 8):
2 pounds: fresh fish (albacore, sole, snapper, halibut, flounder)
1 cup of key lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 T. salt (to taste)
1-2 rocoto chiles (called manzanos in Mexican markets)
1 red onion, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
4 large sweet potatoes (side)
4 large corn on cob (side)
1. Boil sweet potatoes until tender (can pierce with fork). After cooked, cool, cut in into halves. Each plate will have 1/2 of a sweet potatoe.
2. Boil the corn and cool. Each plate will have 1/2 of a cob of corn.
3. Into the key lime and lime juice juice, blend the cilantro, red onion, salt, rocoto chiles and fish.
4. Set the blended mixture for 1 hour. Fish will be firm and opaque when finished. In Peru, this is done at room temp. We recommend 1 hour at room temperature and 1-3 hours refridgerated. Please be careful. Eatting raw fish that has only been marinated in lime juice can have higher counts of bacteria.
5. Serve on plate with corn and potatoe on side of ceviche.
Back to Peruvian Recipes
Site last updated - July 18, 2012