Ecuatorian Fish Ceviche
Ingredients (serves 8):
2 pounds: fresh fish (albacore, sole, snapper, halibut, flounder)
2-3 hot peppers (serrano/rocoto to taste)
4 garlic cloves
4 large shallots, sliced finely
4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 sweet bell peppers (1 orange + 1 red)
1 to 1.5 cups lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp sunflower oil
Salt (to taste, 1/4 tsp)
1. Place the raw fish pieces in a glass dish and cover it with salt, hot peppers, crushed garlic, a tablespoon of chopped cilantro, and lime juice from about 10 limes, the fish should be completely covered by lime juice.
2. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill, let the fish cook itself in the lime juice for at least 4 hours.
3. Place the sliced shallots in a bowl, cover them with warm water and salt, let rest for at least 10 minutes, drain and rinse well.
4. Once the fish is “cooked” in the lime juice rinse it well, removing the hot peppers, garlic and cilantro.
5. Combine the fish with the shallots, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and lime juice from remaining 10 limes, sunflower oil and salt to taste in a large non-reactive bowl, mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
6. Serve with chifles, patacones, popcorn or corn nuts as well as with some good hot sauce or aji.
Back to Ecuatorian Recipes
Site last updated - July 18, 2012